A Contact is a stored SMS-capable phone number or email address, and exists primarily to support the functionality of other portal features, first by streamlining the processes and activity of portal operators, and also by giving Asset Managers control over communications within and outside the portal. A number of features use the Contacts list to perform actions or to set up communications and alert systems related to device activity. For example, when setting up an Alert, users can configure that Alert to send notifications to any email address or phone number that has been saved as a Contact in the portal.
Contacts exist in the portal as static objects that can be assigned to Users. The primary User on the account is the only one with create/delete access for Contacts, and non-administrators only have access to utilize the Contacts assigned to them. Contacts in the portal do not have multiple email addresses or phone numbers tied to them as users would find in other types of software that manages people and their contact information. Each contact in the portal should instead be considered a single delivery destination (SMS or email) for messages from the portal.
Email Contacts: Store any email address in the portal as a Contact.
Phone Contacts: Store any SMS-capable phone number in the portal as a Contact.
Emergency Contact: Can be either SMS or email destination; if indicated as an Emergency Contact, the destination address will be automatically sent notifications from the Portal whenever the Emergency protocols are triggered.
- Rate Limits: minimum number of minutes between notification messages from the portal. Rate options for standard notifications and emergency notifications.
- Notification Language: recipient’s language preference.
- Notification Speed Display: speed units to be displayed in notification information.
- Lat/Lng Format: coordinate format to be displayed in notification information.
- Fuel Units: fuel units (litre, gallon, miles, kilometres) to be displayed in notification information.
- Timezone: timezone to be displayed in notification information.
- OpenPGP Public Key: Allows encryption of messages. Must be configured- see OpenPGP Article here.